Usa & Canada Cruises

S.S. Lurline – Matson Liner sailing from Honolulu – from whiteships.com

A residence motion picture of the SS Lurline on Boat Working day in Honolulu. Taken in the early sixties, this scene was a frequent prevalence in Honolulu during the golden era of steamship journey (1927-1978). Each 7 days, Matson’s grand white passenger ships arrived from California or the South Seas, and later on ongoing on their voyage across the Pacific. The comprehensive record of Matson’s passenger ship era is now obtainable in a espresso-table ebook known as “The White Ships.” Revealed in 2008 by Pier 10 Media, obtainable at whiteships.com

1. was 8 1969 – had root beer floats and turkey sandwiches at midnight or later and sang mele kaliki maka in the sky for some reason or another..was great and got leid to the max when we hit Aloha tower dock – great memories man..

2. I was one of the kids that dove for coins back in the 60's. I also played in a school band that played for the ships' departures. By any chance do any of you have a photo of that band? (I know it's one chance in a million but no ask, no get!)

3. I have about 6 or 7 of them from 1959. Also have four days of the published at sea ship's newspaper from 5/31/59 thru 6/4/59 as well as some other stuff.

4. My family & I left Honolulu & sailed to San Francisco aboard the SS Lurline on May 31, 1959. Very cool to see these old movies.

5. I HAVE A PHOTO OF MYSELF AND THE GOOD DOCTOR, GO TO FB, MIKE MICHELSON

6. The golden years of ship travel to Honolulu: The Western Shrine Convention in 1960 when my father was Potentate of Al Malaikah Shrine Temple in Los Angeles. What fun and what great memories…and before Honolulu went 'build crazy'. The Royal Hawaiian, The Moana, the Outrigger Canoe Club…and you could actually see Diamond Head from the beach. Those days are sadly gone forever.

7. I just noticed that "Lurline" appears at the beginning of Volume 2 of "Victory at Sea," entering Honolulu harbor in 1941, before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Inspired at a young age by such TV series, I became a Submariner in the late 1960s and today, I love going to sea on big "White" cruise ships. Last month we enjoyed the Hawaiian islands cruise on the NCL Pride of America, out of Honolulu, a truly bon voyage!

8. great times on the Lurline.. i have a menu on ebay 1956 take a look. ebay number 220946281662 under the name of finderskeepersantiques all one word.

9. The shipsdoctor on the SS Lurline was Bob van der Stok. He was a Dutch famous Spitfire Pilot in WW II and escaped from the POW camp Stalag Luft III (the great Escape) in 1944.

10. @PhantomTrader1 Your dad must have known Bob van der Stok, the shipsdoctor on the SS Lurline. Van der Stok was a Dutch famous Spitfire Pilot in WW II and escaped from the POW camp Stalag Luft III (the great Escape) in 1944.

11. My family and I sailed from Honolulu to California on this ship in 1965. I was 10, and I think my sister and I ran around every inch of her but the engine room. What fun!! My mom won a hat contest and we watched the animatatron horse races. I had my 10th Birthday on the ship and I still have the adorable card signed by the captain. What wonderfull memories! But I lost the pen with the floating ship inside. No it was a mechanical pencil.

12. I was born on Oahu into a Navy family in 1949. When my dad retired in 1957 the Navy sent us back to the mainland/SF via the Lurline.
    Can't say I remember it like yesterday but I sure have fond memories of that great sea voyage on that lovely ship. Our family was starting a new life on the mainland n the fist chapter took place for me on the Lurline.
    Thanks for sharing, sure brings back lotsO memories……..

13. I have an old 10" E.P. recording of
    "Kalani Bright and his S.S. Lurline Serenaders"
    the other side features Bill Aliloa LIncoln and the Hawaiians

any info would be much appreciated.
    Thanx for the memories……this wa very cool!