Mediterranean Cruises

Travel Skills: Cruising

Check your local public television station for this Rick Steves’ Europe episode or watch it on Setting sail on the Mediterranean, we’ll explore the ins and outs and pros and cons of cruising. We’ll learn how to get the most out of a cruise and exercise our independence to make smart use of limited time on shore by planning well, avoiding lines, and eating quick-but-local meals on the go. Along with the joys and efficiencies of cruising, we’ll consider the downsides, including the inevitable congestion and commercialism that comes with mass tourism.

Visit for more information about this destination and other destinations in Europe.

Check out more Rick Steves’ Europe travel resources:
“Rick Steves’ Europe” public television series:
“Travel with Rick Steves” public radio program:
European Tours:
Guidebooks:
Travel Gear:
Trip Consulting:
Travel Classes:
Rick Steves Audio Europe App:

Rick Steves, America’s most respected authority on European travel, writes European travel guidebooks and hosts travel shows on public television and public radio.

1. Sitting in Dubrovnic at the shore, I could still smell cruise ships long after they were gone. Awful. I get that a cruise ship is attractive as a travel option, but man, talk about environmental polluting behemoths. I could never relax on a cruise ship, knowing how much heavy oil is being burned and how cities are overrun when they hit a harbor. Ouch, I sound like a greenie here, but I'm not.

2. ….love your stuff Rick but @ 11:21 I think you meant quarry not beach…

3. The crew make all the ports several times a month, and know all the best places to enjoy. The deck officers are famous for knowing where to have a good time. Just ask them about what you want. And if you are too late your departure, there are often fast boats that can catch the ship, if it will pause to let you board, but oh, how you will pay for the convenience.

4. Fabulous do more cruise ports please

5. Free

6. Thank you! You travel like Boss!

7. Great promo for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises

8. You can use your origin or destination ports to do traditional tourism. For example, go to London for a few days touring, then head to Southampton to catch a cruise.

9. always great stuff Rick, you are an inspiration to me. Hope to run into you someday somewhere in the world! I did a 20 day Mediterranean cruise last year, was awesome.

10. proxima vida next life

11. Rick Steves always does a great job and always enjoy watching his shows, even the reruns. I think cruises are a great alternative to the bus tours where you are in multiple hotels and on and off the bus. At least on the cruise, you unpack once.

12. I am really pleased to see Steve's take on cruising.

13. Great story thank you.

14. Thank you so much for this video….Continued success….Happy Holy Weekend to you and your coworker team.

15. hello Ricky I am from India I like your channel and thank you

16. We just finished our second cruise, we did Princess cruises in Japan. It's a great way to see a ton of different cities when you have a short time to travel. I may have to look into cruising Europe, thank you for providing awesome content.

17. One of my friends said taking a cruise solo sucked. After watching this video, I totally agree.

18. Rick Steves dances🙃

19. The best tour guide ever. Thanks for a great video

20. Thanks for putting a new angle on your travel videos! I am making it my goal to watch ALL of them!

21. I really enjoy Rick's videos and tips and in fact we have used his suggestions for tour guides in Italy which was great. I've taken Rick's books to France, Croatia and Venice and enjoyed an experience that we could not get from a group tour. We also enjoy cruising and although I agree with Rick's comments about port time there are smaller ships such as Azamara Club Cruises which spend more than one day in many ports allowing guests to experience the culture, food and local flavor, coupled with small group tours or private tours Azamara Club Cruises gives the cruiser a great experience. Their three ships offer speciality dining, White night parties and land excursions to their 600 guests. So if you're looking for an intimate upscale cruise line check out Azamara Club Cruises.

22. I love Rick Steves videos. And we love to cruise. This will be our next cruise.

23. // YOUTUBE LICENTIE // RICK STEVENS 'EUROPE// TRAVEL SKILLS ; CRUISING!!

24. Boat… Ship… Same thing. I was on an aircraft carrier for a couple years, and we just called it "The Boat".

25. Rick is into his swinging phase of his life now that he is single.

26. The ship can leave you if you don’t return on time!

If you’ve engaged a “ship” sponsored tour, the company will get you back if you experience delays.

If you’re on your own or with your own guide, you’re responsible if something happens and you can’t make it back on time! The ship can leave you!

27. Seems like a wonderful way to sample some great places in Europe. My only concern is most cruises only spend a short time in port. My goal is to take a Alaskan cruise someday.

28. Rick is so classic, I always feel time traveling watching an 80's show when I'm watching Rick. Nice job.

29. Rick Steeves has cruised with Celebrity.

30. Yah, it pis**d down when I did the excursion to Athens on a cruise.

31. Cruising is a great economical way to sample areas. Then make note of the areas that you want to travel back to and explore more in-depth for a non-cruise trip. At least that's what we're doing

32. Love cruising. Five couples who have been friends since grade school, now in our late 50s, it s got something for everyone. Every year or two, off we go. Some stay on ship all the time, some will do one excursion per cruise, and some adventure off on their own at port. Just don t be late, we get back an hour early to be sure not to miss embarking on time. The ship won t wait for you if you are not booked through their excursion. Wake up to a new adventure every day. Evenings, entertainment and dancing with life long friends. We all love it.

33. Cruising is not my style. I like independent travel which allows for optimal cultural experience and freedom.

34. Thanks for sharing a cruise video Rick. We love to cruise and love celebrity cruises. Best way to get around and see as much as possible.

35. Got all the Cruising I'll ever need in the Navy. No 3000 passenger mob for me.

36. No I don’t think is for me ! Absolutely hate it like lock-in hotel for one month!! People always around you feel like on market!!

37. Nice job, I love exploring and history, learning and war and stuff. I liek cruisers because it easier but you only see one area though.

38. Very jaded view…. Rick Steves is clearly anti-cruising. It really comes through. Not a very balanced view. Cruising is a good way to get a snapshot of multiple countries without a great expense. Then you can decide which ones you want to visit longer. We did this and found lovely places in Italy in which to return, such as Lucca. Cruising is a wonderful way to explore other parts of the world.

39. Great video!

40. Rick, you have to warn people not to pose for those fake backdrops of the ship, when they are on a real ship! Every cruise wants you to pay $ to pose in front of a large plastic image of the ship, when you can take pics of your family on the real ship for free, we all have cameras, especially on our phones.

41. 17:16 Was Istanbul part of this cruise or is that scene from a earlier video?

42. Brilliant reasercher

43. If ROLEX was an actual "charity" why don't they come out with a Luxury blind person's watch called ROLEX Blind-Date, no?

44. NOOOOOOO RICK FELL TO THE DARK SIDE!!!! :p

45. This is a amazing video!❤ Your trips are obviously and very interesting. You have so much a knowledge about these countries and places. Congratulations and I'm waiting for a new amazing videos!

46. Love your this video , thanks !

47. Thank you Sir for this nice video

48. I really love Rick Steves videos. He really knows the countries so well and is so informative in the most pleasant way. I watched every single travel video on Europe until I had to start watching them again so I am so glad he is making new videos.. I’ve traveled the world on you tube with Steve as my guide. I hope to someday travel all of Europe in actuality and I will be acquainted with many countries, because of the videos. Bravo