Mediterranean Cruises

European River Cruising : 8 Need-to-Knows And Tips for First-time Cruisers

Interested in river cruising in Europe? I discuss the 8 things that anyone considering a European river cruise needs to know before they go. Based on my numerous river cruises I discuss tips including how it compares to ocean cruises, how to choose the right river cruise line, why the fares at first look seem expensive, what to focus on when selecting the best itinerary, which rivers to focus on, when to go and who it is best suited for.

I filmed this whilst on a Viking Danube River cruise. Find out what I thought of Viking in my video:

Check out cruising merchandise like T-shirts at my store at

Support the channel by booking your next cruise and for the best deals on CRUISEDIRECT.COM:

GEAR USED TO MAKE MY VIDEOS (with Amazon affiliate links)
* Canon D70 – USA UK

Follow Tips For Travellers on:
– Instagram:
– Facebook:
– Twitter:

#EuropeanRiverCruise #RiverCruiseTips #RiverCruising

1. Your vids are amazing! Always enjoy them! ⭐

2. I am a 29 year old solo traveler, and have done 3 river cruises. One with Viking, on the Prestige. And two with Emerald, on the Star and Destiny. I just got off my third one less then a week ago. Surprisingly I wasnt the youngest on my most recent one. But anyways, for solo travelers, look at Emerald, as they have two single bed cabins on their ships.

3. that´s the main difference between the european cruisers and the amazon cruisers. in the amazon you go on conventional cruisers or even ocean liners, all year and from Belém to Manaus takes 7 days plus the 5 day return. it´s pretty much treated like conventional non-river cruises…

4. Thank you for this very informative video for first-time river cruisers. My son and I took a 5-country river cruise last summer with Tauck starting in Budapest and ending in Amsterdam. The overall experience was absolutely wonderful. We had the lowest priced cabin which was really quite expensive in comparison with other river cruise companies, including Viking, but we had taken many other vacations with Tauck and were happy with all of them. Unfortunately our very experienced travel agent was unaware that we would not be able to see out our cabin window unless we stood up. In fact, our cabin window was so high we couldn’t even rest our elbows on the window sill to take photos (and I am almost 5’ 10” tall). When I inquired at the front desk the first day about this the ship’s cruise director said we could immediately be moved to a cabin where could see out the window in a seated position for an additional $6000. We had already spent at least $18000 on this trip for 2. Tauck does not offer upgrades under any conditions and I understand and fully respect that but our travel agent was never informed that we would have to actually stand up the entire cruise to see out the window. I scoured Tauck’s marketing materials and nowhere does it say that if you book this particular cabin level you will have to stand up for the entire cruise to see out your window. We have travelled to 40 countries and if I didn’t know this and neither did our very experienced travel agent, then I’m sure many other viewers of your channel don’t. CAREFUL: When you book with Tauck, you better ask this question to avoid disappointment before booking.

5. Viking Cruises sponsors the Joseph Rosendo Travel show

6. Water level and winter season , don't mess with mother nature…

7. I was looking into doing my first river cruise…as a solo traveler… suddenly single and I want this travel experience regardless of my relationship status….any pointers? Thanks!

8. Thank you

9. I have done both of Rhine and Danube River Cruise on Viking. I loved the scenic views from the boat. I will be doing another cruise with Viking, again, in October. This time, my husband and I are going to Russia, Moscow to St. Petersburg.

10. We just finished our river cruise. We had a wonderful time. The river level was perfect. However, this way of travel is for people who are mobile. If one needs to use a walker, this is not for you. Europe is paved in cobblestone; cobblestones and walkers/wheelchairs do not mix AT All.

11. Which river cruise company is in the mid-price range?

12. not worth to go ,very disapointing

13. Another great video Gary! Heading off in July for a trip with Uniworld through Burgundy & Provence – can hardly wait!

14. My first river cruise was in 2007 on Gate 1. Gate 1 is not as well known as most of the other cruise lines but they do offer a good value for the budget minded traveler. They are always running promotions which can cut down the cost considerably. For instance I am taking another Gate 1 cruise this October and when I booked it in Feb. of this year they were running a 4 day sale on the 9 day Danube river cruise of $1500.00 off per cabin. Almost made up for my single supplement. I have since been on 7 other river cruises on other cruise lines but as I said, I am returning to Gate 1 this fall.

15. Outstanding video for beginners. The only thing I would add, and you have mentioned this on some of your other videos but it's worth repeating, is that river cruising may not be a good option for those with mobility issues. Thanks again for all you excellent work.

16. Thanks for another great video. I was wondering whether you recommend a cabin on the east-facing or west-facing side of the ship on the Rhine cruise – Budapest to Amsterdam?

17. I would love to do a Nile river cruise! Have you done that?!

18. How does water levels affect shoulder cruising? Is there a higher chance of water level issues in Apr/May or Sept/Oct? Is the tradeoff that Apr/May could have more rain but better river water levels with Sept/Oct drier but more at risk for water levels?
    My schedule is flexible so I prefer shoulder season for lower crowds and cheaper. I did European delivery of a car in July '18 and the record-setting heat was somewhat uncomfortable in unairconditioned hotels/restaurants, so peak summer in Europe is not at the top of my list.

19. If your adventurious, you can always grab a map of the area your in from the front desk & take off on your own to explore.
    Just keep track of the time.

20. Another on the money video. Thanks, Gary! You have reaffirmed my thinking in many areas of my planning and decision making for river cruising and filled in some blanks with really useful information. Rhine, then Danube… Seems obvious with you saying it. Yeah, I am eager to see some castles. 🙂 Thanks, again.

21. We are planning a first river cruise next year so thank you for the good information. Jeannine

22. Are river cruises/cruiselines wheelchair accessible?

23. Hi Gary,
    Do you have any comment on APT river cruises? We are booked on one in July from Amsterdam to Budapest.
    Always done ocean cruises before – this is our first time on a river cruise.
    Thanks Roger

24. Thanks so much for your tips and videos Gary! I would love to do a river cruise in my near future!

25. So excited for my first river cruise! 😁🙌

26. Leaving next Friday for Vikings Romantic Danube. First river cruise. First trip to Europe. Eeek👏👏👏

27. Thank you =)

28. Fabulous content. Again. Thanks.

29. We are leaving Saturday on Uniworld castles along the Rhine