Mediterranean Cruises

How To NOT Look Like A Tourist | What To Wear In Europe

I’ve been very lucky to travel in my life, both within the United States and abroad. Today I want to share 6 things I like to avoid wearing while on vacation so that I can fit in a little easier. Assimilating (by how you dress, speak and conduct yourself) will make you less easily targeted as a tourist, help you experience your destination as more of an insider rather than an outsider, and will ensure you don’t get turned away from restaurants or important landmarks. I’ve linked everything mentioned down below, and like always thank you so much for watching! xxAudrey

BLOG POST:

FREE SUMMER TRENDS EBOOK:

MY FIRST EBOOK:

________________________________________________

WHAT I’M WEARING:
Pinstripe: Zara (recently purchased from Poshmark)
Earrings: Zara
Signet Ring: Ruff’s Signet Ring c/o
Delicate Stacking Ring: GLDN c/o c/o
Watch: Jacy c/o
____________________________________________________________

Nice pants with an elastic waist that still look polished!

Great cashmere sweaters:

____________________________________

MUSIC: “Expensive Dinner” via EpidemicSound.com
____________________________________

Camera: Sony A7r iii
____________________________________

NEW HERE?

Welcome to Audrey À La Mode and thank you for stopping by! I’m Audrey, a Charleston based minimalist, antique collector and stripe lover. Through this site, I share my love for simplicity and my journey of doing more with less.

From tips on how to build a classic, minimal, year-round wardrobe (starting with just 10 pieces!), to beauty, travel and more, my goal is to inspire you to live life to the fullest.
____________________________

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement. Sponsored posts will always be disclosed. All opinions are always my own and everything was purchased by me unless otherwise stated with * or c/o. Some affiliate links may be used above. Thank you so much for supporting my channel!

1. Hi everyone – thanks so much for watching!! I want to pop on here quickly and say that OBVIOUSLY this video is full of generalizations and I don't mean to imply that these are universal truths across all people and countries. Of course each place has individual and unique customs and traditions that should always be celebrated and respected. Labeling this video in a very generalized "Europe" helps with YouTube analytics – which is why you're seeing this video in the first place. Also, the tips I'm sharing here are just general dressing tips, that when coupled with respect, cultural sensitivity, a true interest in the place I'm visiting, and at least a few words and phrases have helped me have a more enjoyable, immersive experience. xx Audrey

2. For the most part, retitle to "How to not look like a FEMALE tourist" … good tips, thanks!

3. Don't wear vertical striped pantsuits when visiting the concentration camp at Auschwitz. Horizontal stripes is OK though.

4. Who really cares how we look. Have you taken a look at some of them? Why is it bad to look like a tourist?

5. DO NOT wear a beret in France – it will scream "I'm an American tourist trying hard to be chic and fit in" and you'll stick out like a sore thumb

6. I live in norway and the asian and american people wear like big coats and scarfs and I only wear a sweater and jeans, its not THAT cold here, comon!

7. Excellent presentation.

8. I know that I look like a tourist. It does not bother me.

9. such a soothing voice!good video!I live in the statesvand work from home and 99% of my daily outfits are legging,tshirt and sneakers.

10. Umm if you live in NY you can spot a European tourist. Super distressed jeans and rhinestones….. but just a generalization. Some would say cheesy but thats okay! You can express your self though your clothes any way you want.

Anyway it’s lame to be a classist the most import thing to me it to have tolerance and treat people with kindness and respect no matter what they are wearing.

Sara’s tips for travel are good though! People want to dress “nice” and also practical but need some help!:)

11. Great advice. I used to travel alot and made some of these mistakes in my early years. My cousin was required to wear a disposable paper poncho when we visited the Vatican as she was wearing a (modest) tank top which exposed her shoulders. Comfortable shoes are essential – whether on holidays or not 😃

12. My daughter is going to Belgium for a year with Rotary Youth Exchange. We live in the USA. Do you know if it is common for students (high school) to wear a backpack?

13. This is really awesome and informative video clip.

14. Unless it's disrespectful, just wear what you want .

15. I thought she was going to say something about wearing expensive jewelry, a lot of jewelry, an expensive-looking watch, designer handbag will make tourists a target for pick-pocketers or muggers but she talked about the obvious – wear comfortable shoes, don’t wear all-athletic clothes – useless info. We already know to dress comfortably, wear comfortable shoes while traveling….DUH!!! Utterly USELESS video that won’t be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, in won’t be taken at all.

16. I am fortunate enough to get to travel to countries in Europe usually every 2 years. To avoid ACTING like a tourist, I ask if whomever I am speaking to, speaks English and if not I pull up Google Translate because the world is not here to speak English for me. I am a quiet person so I speak softly and calmly. I have found that as long as I am dressing in a nice blouse, I can pair that with modest-length shorts, a nice skirt, etc. and that keeps me from standing out as much. I usually carry a pashmina with me in my handbag in case the church we are visiting requires something on the head, shoulders or if someone in my group needs a longer hemline. But being respectful goes the distance when traveling anywhere, particularly as an American. We are not well loved because of the idiot running this nation into the ground, because many have been loud and obnoxious – not to mention publicly drunken – disorderly, etc. so check your volume and your attitude before you get off the plane and be prepared to use Google translate, your best manners and your softest "inside" voice.

17. Thank for your efforts to save us from baseball caps!

18. All these costs in 30+ degrees Celsius! And toss high heels! Who are the people who love self torture¿? How much find in those two observations ?

19. You are so sophisticated, it's like a breath of fresh air!

20. As not to stand out, I recommend backpacks in urban areas of Northern and Western Europe. Purses look foreign. We're not that posh/formal/conservative over here. We save purses for galas and weddings. Get a backpack.

21. Yeah.. imaginary bone-spurs must be the worst kind, and only the wealthy seem to get them?

22. Mouth clicks. A better microphone or a drink of water maybe. 🙂

23. good tips. You have the most soothing voice!!!

24. Superb! Well said- as an American now living and having traveled abroad…wish I had watched this years ago!

25. In the UK, if you are walking round in sports gear, in flip flops with a shoulder bag then you will fit right in. #Chavtastic

26. Thank you for these tips!