Caribbean Cruises

Disney Cruise Line Leaves Employees on Island During Hurricane

Disney Cruise Line Leaves Employees on Island During Hurricane/ while royal caribbean cruise line closed their private island to allow employees to be with their families and homes. Disney Cruise line left 97 cast members in a shelter on Castaway Cay.

For those of you who are wondering, yes I am a Travel Agent and I work with anyone in Canada and the United States 🙂

Need to contact me with questions or to book a cruise? You can email me at dterris@travelonly.com or check out my website at dterris.travelonly.com

Looking for information on out group cruise? Email me at dterris@travelonly.com

check out some other cruising videos here:

1. Disney is a trash company now . It's not about kids at the parks it's about how much money they can squeeze out of the parents .Weaponizing your kids emotions so you buy a $5 dollar hunk of useless plastic for $49.99 because the store is in Greediest place on Earth and no other reason .

2. I remain open-minded on this issue. It could be that the volunteers didn't live with or even have their families living in the path of Dorian, perhaps they come from different islands or perhaps many of them were Americans… I don't know. It could be that the hurricane shelter on Castaway Cay is very nice and more protection that they would get if they went home. I have to assume that the shelter on the island is built to withstand a Cat-5 storm. Just think if anyone got injured or died on Castaway Cay, not only would it be horrifying publicity but there would probably be massive lawsuits by the family members. I'd like to know more. Thanks, Don! I'm really looking forward to the videos of your upcoming cruises!

3. I so agree!! Disney in the 70s was a delight. I miss it.

4. I agree with you 100% about Disney. The customer experience is, at best, on a reeeaaallllyyyy good day, secondary to the almighty dollar. It has been a gradual and steady decline for the last 25 years or more. Sadly, it's not just Disney.

5. Don, thank you for your honest and informative vid. Always a pleasure!

6. If Chick-fil-A builds a theme park I will never step foot in Disney World again! Disney caters to the “special interests” crowds now and doesn’t care about families anymore.

7. OMG! 😮That’s exactly how I feel. Disney is not the same anymore.

8. Hi Don I could not agree with you more actions speak louder than words Royal Caribbean has the decency to have their employees be with their families.Disney in my opinion is a heartless conglomerate that cares nothing about people only their stockholders and the bottom line.I got so disgusted with them that I sold all my Disney stock not to have any affiliation with them at all. I can be almost a thousand percent correct that no executive was nowhere near the island to take care of them. The way you feel about people in the buffet touching foods that's how I feel about Disney

9. I would have expected it from carnival but not disney

10. Well said. I’ve gone off Disney over the last few years. All about the money it seems. I think Walt would be devastated as to how his dream has been tarnished.🇦🇺

11. I’ve never been on a Disney Cruise so I may be wrong, but I know on other cruise lines the staff is from other countries and couldn’t go home during the hurricane. Maybe that was the case here. On the other hand, the corporation sucks.

12. Simple way to look at it….
    Just ask……
    "What would Walt think?"

13. I call it greed

14. I am feeling the same about Disney lately. It’s not the same, it’s ALL about Star Wars, Pandora, marvel! To me disney is Minnie, Mickey, the princesses. Etc

15. Castaway cay is home for most of them. They live on the island. Knowing Disney, and what they stand for, they put peoples safety as the top priority. So it sounds very biased to say that they "left" them on the island. Also, it wasnt someone on the island who tweeted. it was the sister of someone who was there. yes they are a corporation, however the fact that you dont fint them to be magical anymore, doesnt mean they arent. There are plenty of happy cast members. Ive met multiple. I'm sorry that you felt the need to trash them based on half facts.

16. I liked Bryer Rabbit and the tar pit.. such memories from 40 years ago

17. I think many of them were more protected there than in there own homes and decided to stay.

18. I hate what Disney has become. Don, you are exactly right with your description of the Disney company. Use to love Disney World. Now it’s just a giant billboard to promote their movies and merchandise sales. Don’t get me started also on the price gouging they are doing. Just a playground for the rich folks with their spoiled rotten kids.

19. And you are so right. And Disney celetele is mostly British. I dont like Disney anymore. Walt must be turning in his grave. All about the $$$$$ these days.

20. Don – My husband worked for Disney for a few years in software development. He was so excited to start work and totally believed the opportunities that were promised. Unfortunately we found out very soon that it was a facade I agree completely with your assessment.
    BTW – great view of Canada Place, have a great trip and thanks for not wearing the white shirt.
    Debra

21. Don, I’m 100% with you on this. I’m 61 and took my children there many times when they were young. I agree Walt Disney would be rolling over in his grave (and he wasn’t known for being the most upstanding person, which makes it far worse). I don’t care if employees were given a “choice.” I’ve worked for law firms all my life. I understand “choices” that aren’t really choices very well. It’s an awful situation to put employees in, especially if they are from parts of the world that are economically depressed, and they and their families depend on their “low-paying, minimum wage jobs to survive, especially when it might be an entire family. That makes a “choice” not a choice. It’s ridiculous to think employees who were not so dependent would “choose” to ride out a Cat 5 Hurricane. I’m so with you on this video.

22. I agree with you……. those people had family's…… i am done with Disney, the magic is over for me……. its all about money pits now…..

23. I live in central Florida and know several Disney Cast Members (I am also a retired leader of a large Urban Search and Rescue team with hurricane experience). Their policy is to have volunteer staff on Ride Out teams who will stay in place to make emergency repairs and otherwise assure that damage is minimized. Disney has a very well constructed shelter for the crew and provides very good compensation for those who choose to stay. I do no believe they made a decision that put their cast members at risk.

24. Do these employees live on the island as part of their job? If so, they probably don’t get home all that often. Personally I would rather be in a well-built structure with food, water, and generators than in one of the houses that got blown away or suffered substantial damage. The people on the Disney island are safe. They have what they need. You can’t say that about the people in Freeport. Disney actually kept their employees out of harm’s way by keeping them on the island. The best they could have done was have the employees’ immediate family come stay on the island with them, but that might not be feasible. There are travel constraints, space constraints, and a limit on the amount of food and water that can be stored in the shelter. When you read the headlines and the tweets, it is easy to make Disney the villain. When you hear Disney’s side of it and how they are providing safety, food, shelter, and power to their employees, Disney becomes a hero.

25. Send those folks home Disney!

26. Disney, the Greediest Place on Earth! We had a 10 day vacation in Orlando. All 4 Disney Parks plus waterpark. It was a great time but SUPER expensive. The following year we went to Pogeon Forge, Tennessee and Dollywood and Dollywood Splash Country. This was an even better experience for a fraction of the cost. We've been back to Pigeon Forge but not Disneyworld.

27. Don, shame on Disney. Very informative, and nice view of Vancouver. Have a vantastic Cruise.

28. OMG…I feel the same way! My last trip to Disneyland may just be my last trip (well no, but still). I saw the disintegration of California Adventure in to Toy Story Land and Tomorrow Land turning in to Star Wars Land. And, the cast members were just not up to snuff. I felt so very sad while sitting in the happiest place on earth….how can they do this?

29. So looking for to staying at the Pan Pacific! 281 days to Go!

30. I actually couldn't agree with you more. Disney has so changed since I worked there in the early early early 80's. You are correct, it is nothing but a corporate machine now! Mr. Disney is rolling over in his grave! Considering what Mr. Disney's plan and vision was for his company, they should all be ashamed! This is one more reason why I will not for sail on a Disney cruise ship, and one more reason I will sail on Royal Caribbean!

31. Sorry Don, cant agree. Who knows where the staff actually live. North America is massive, assuming they live in the Hurrican danger area is a big leap of logic. The staff are safe and their is a business to run and customers to satisfy.

Trying to criticise a huge successful business from Vancouver without the total facts is unfair.

32. If anyone did lose their life then Disney would be responsible. Unless they did they volunteered to stay for time in a half.

33. I agree 100%, I grew up in Southern CA in the 60’s going to Disneyland and LOVED it. Having kids in the 90’s and taking them to both Disneyland and Disneyworld several times it is definitely not the same experience. They love it still now, I miss my old Disney.
    Do you know how Carnival’s Half Moon Cay fared. We leave on the 14th on the Magic.