Usa & Canada Cruises

Pros & Cons of 5 Popular Cruise Lines

Hi Cruisers, Today we go live again to talk about the pros & cons of 5 popular cruise lines. We’ll look at Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean Cruises, Norwegian Cruises, Holland American Cruises, and of course Carnival Cruises. These are the lines we typically sail on, and feel like we have enough cruising experience to comment on some of the features and distinctions of these lines.

Please check out our newly redesigned amazon shop (by shopping here, you are supporting CruiseTipsTV without paying a penny more for your amazon products. Contains affiliate links.)

Some of you have been asking how you can shop on amazon to support CruiseTipsTV, without buying items from our actual store. Here are the general affiliate links for Canada, UK and the USA. What happens when you make your amazon purchases through these links is we receive a small commission toward future amazon purchases, but you don’t pay a penny more for your purchase. We use that commission to re-invest in our channel with things like microphones, SD cards for cameras, lighting equipment, etc. Thank you for your support, and See You on the High Seas!

USA

Canada

UK

Our favorite place to purchase travel gear:

Our preferred cruise travel insurance providers:

Allianz:

Travel Guard:

1. Princess for me. The best combination of price point, service, food, relaxation, and guests. Not trailer trash and not snooty. Great beds, room service, international cafe, Alfredos pizza,

2. I'm suffering from post sea sickness…sea legs? I still feel the heavy gravitational pull of the ship on land! lol Can any experienced cruisers tell me if a midsize ship vs. a large one…can lessen or worsen this land sickness? (I was on a midsize ship…Holland America Eurodam for 1 week on Calif. Coast and it was my maiden voyage. Just need to know for future bookings. Larger or midsize or smaller. Any experienced cruisers have any advice as far as ship size? (oh…I did use scopolomine patches and honestly, I wasn't sea sick on board…it was once I was on land that killed me. (shore excursions and being home.)

3. Good info about the pools. I love pools but I do want a heated pool.

4. Went to the Panama Canal on Princess – last minute. Paid 509 + port charges for 11 days inside. Cabin assignment was about 7 days prior to cruising, email that same night offered upgrade to balcony for 100. Took it of course. Second best cruise ever – Alaska on the Radiance was #1.

5. One of the best ships to Alaska is the Radiance. Views outdoors everywhere – public areas glass everywhere. Older, but still beautiful and great for viewing the beauty of the inside passage.

6. Wish I could get dw to try Carnival. She is kind of fearful of them, since it seems most reports of serious problems (fires/power & engine failures) are carnival ships. It does seem like it has been a long time since we have heard anything about any incidents, so I may yet be able to convince her.

7. Great video! I plan on trying all the cruise lines at least once. I'm looking at Norwegian Escape or Princess next

8. Damn, I just booked my first cruise ever and it's with Princess… I like fun AND I like to relax….but did I just play myself? Is it gonna be boring now? I'm in my early 30s…and I don't wanna be on a senior ship πŸ˜‘

9. Royal Caribbean has several drink packages that do not include any alcohol at all. There is one, in fact, that has just bottled water.

10. Carnival is more if you don’t have kids. It has kid stuff, but they don’t really take care to be intentional about promoting kid friendly activities the way Royal Caribbean does.

11. What platform was this chat on?

12. Great info! Ditto on the Norwegian ships and the singles studio. They are incredibly cozy and wonderful!

13. Can you make a video explaining everything about the Sign & Sail card? My husband & I are going on our first cruise, with Carnival, next year & I’m confused of how it works, how do you have money on it, when is it used, etc.

14. Definitely try MSC. They are out of Miami and have 3 different public pools. The 15th floor garden bar pool is never full, because no one wants to bring their kids that far up, above the buffet, but there is a bar, there! MSC also has BOGO sales, where you just pay port fees. Also, kids sail free, under 16, just pay port taxes.

15. I wished I had seen this prior to booking my first cruise on Norwegian Breakaway Cruise. I do a ton of research but was taken by the perks and did not research enough. Dang…

16. We are elderly and cant be in an airplane for too many hours .are there any cruises that have a port that departs from the US to travel to Europe?

17. Pro-Love the plated sit down dinners…..
    CON-not informed about guys burgers & couldn't find ice cream shop…bicyle atop the ship only operable off & on….we did not get to ride the bicycle..
    Con- looking 4 an upgrade for 6 months, I'm a repeat cruiseser NO UPGRADE YET…however, 2 new cruisers (friends) offered upgraded rooms, floors…STILL no upgrade for a repeat cruiser (me)πŸ˜”

18. Might I recommend for abdul their pulled pork – Yea!

19. Thanks for removing the guilt associated with loving a burger joint best on a cruise ship. It's okay..

20. I agree that the NCL dining room food is not good, go the buffet and go early!

21. The staterooms on carnival are big and have a lot of storage.

22. can a person just order room service if they are sea sick or lazy (relaxing)

23. Now subscribed, off on our first cruise on RC next year. Considering a Princess cruise right after…sounds good

24. Have you been on carnival dream?

25. Love your videos

26. I have never been on a cruise. Thats why I am listening to these because my wife and I plan on going on a cruise next year.

27. Have you ever been on a Disney cruise?

28. Christine, you have a great voice, very easy to listen to and each word is so distinct. Pretty darn cute too. I hope I can go on a cruise again someday. I keep playing the Power-ball! If you all ever need a boat captain for a pontoon, I'll be glad to be your Captain. You can party downtown Nashville, TN and on the surrounding lakes too. Lots of fun in the Summertime! Don't miss the 'Fun Run at Old Hickory Lake' this summer! Type in Fun Run Old Hickory Lake in the search bar on YouTube. Our Captains drive for bachelorettes, bachelor parties, and all folks that just want a day on the lake and fun in the Sun! 15-20 min from the one and only Music City! Lots of fun! We'll even cook if you bring the food. ICE COLD BEER

29. 3 MINUTES AND 20 SECONDS OF USELESS TALKING BEFORE YOU GOT TO THE 1ST PRO. πŸ™

30. ** CARNIVAL, PRINCESS, ROYAL CARIBBGEAN, NORWEGIAN PROS/CONS BELOW**

CARNIVAL:
    Pros – affordable, loud party scene, great soft serve available 24/7, best lobster I've ever had, wonderful service, great pizza avail 24/7

Cons: party ship- younger crowd- no problem unless you're older and want a more elegant experience, a bit more tacky, staff seems to have to dance or entertain you EVERY night which gets a bit old, food is good- not GREAT, but really good.

PRINCESS:
    Pros- excellent service- wonderful itinerary for Mediterranean cruise (going out of Venice), quieter, older crowd

Cons: Pricier, food was WORST we've ever had on cruises, looked elegant- tasted bland, small cabins, dated ships,
    "High Tea"- nice setup- bland, cheap food, and not really what I would consider a High Tea--was disappointed but have had it at the Ritz and other elegant venues- so if you've never had one, it will be great- if you're used to real High Teas, you'll be disappointed- just skip it.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN:
    Pros: mid-crowd (both young and older- better for families I think), good kids club, Food is great, Service great- some ships newer/some dated, more up-scale experience (ie. waiters not dancing every night- decore more elegant, not so tacky)

Cons: Pricier than Carnival- but you getouldt you pay for IMO, needs to have a more flexible dining like NCL.

NORWEGIAN (NCL):
    Pros: Very nice ships, most elegant of the 4 reviewed here. Ships decore is beautiful, Food is amazing- probably BEST in the 4, service is not as great as the others, but not bad. GREAT KIDS CLUB!! BEST ITINERARY- HAWAIIAN ISLANDS…DO THEIR LUAU!! Ultimately flexible dining- eat where you want, when you want!

Cons: pricey, service is not as good as the other 4- mainly in the specialty restaurants…on the last day, seemed like no one cared whether we were alive or dead- they just wanted us off the ship…it's OK to feel that way, I understand they work very hard- it's NOT OK to show it…customer service needs to be first.

Hope that helps. I've cruised Carnival x 1, Princess x 1, Royal Caribbean x 3, Norwegian x 1 -would do this line all the time if I could afford it!

31. CON RC: I was about to pee myself at dinner and all the bathrooms were closed! RAWE

32. I TRUST RC Cruises. That is important to me. I get better deals for them. Can't say enough about them…. approx. 10 cruises… the bigger ships are great. Good food, good conversation at dinner. If you can do a suite, you will be treated like a queen/king. Point system is good so you can get an upgrade. We like big ships because I have to rest alot, and it gives my husband time to look around and then he can give me a good tour and we find our special evening place to veg./dance~! Con's….Can't think of any. Behind the scenes tour validated our trust. Loyality program gives you the ability to NEVER STAND IN LINE. We do our own searching via a discounted site (popular), and we rarely pay $1,000 plus for a balcony…highest is $1,500 if we are feeling generous. Once we do our homework then we let the travel agent handle. We tend to do more last minute (with in 3 months) because of health conditions, therefore, we have been able to get good sales. Fortunate so far. Do not like Holland America… maybe when I"m 93 years old. πŸ™‚ Good to hear about Norweign….we are a bit nervous. RC is going to digital photo, also. Love your info….honest, yet open.

33. NLC making false PR. The studio cabins is actually more expensive than double singles rate. They probarly forgot why they made them in the first place. Got a deal for a single (doble the price) 989 and the studio was 1300. Ticks me of
    πŸ™

34. Club class suites

35. where do you live stream?

36. I am saving up for an Alaskan Cruise your videos have inspired me. I think you just sold me on a Princess Cruise. Your first con just sold me on it. 😊I want relaxing. I hope to to do a land tour too. Love your videos

37. As a smoker, I was saddened when they stopped balcony smoking. After a day and evening of walking the decks and meeting people, I enjoyed sitting on balcony with brandy and cigarette in big white robe looking at the stars. Alone as a widow, I felt so warm and happy. I will not cruise anymore being so discriminated against.

38. THANK YOU for reminding me to get my walker so I don't fall as easily. I'm getting chills because I'm getting visions that the carnival hallways are just like my middle school hallways. make way, peeps! next year I'm coming with my walker! I've never been on a cruise. I'm 11 by the way and yes I need a walker if I walk too far and no I'm not a grandma.

39. Love the overlay

40. I have found that the destination has much to do with the quality of the cruise.
    Our first cruise was to Alaska on a Royal Caribbean ship. We loved everything about it. We are not really party people and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the upper decks. The dining was great and the shows were OK but since we have a great offering of musical shows in our home town, I wasn't that impressed. I was impressed, though, with the show out side and stayed on deck watching for whales or the sun setting well into the night. At midnight, when we should be going to bed, we decided we would rather go swimming. We were the only ones in the pool. We discovered that our captain grew up on the west coast and knew the waters well. He knew how to getthisclose to the shore safely. In Glacier Bay, he maneuvered the ship as close as possible and we spent a few hours gently rotating on the azipods. No matter where we were on board, we had an excellent view of the glacier. The only negative thing was our inside cabin. We'll not do that again.
    Our second cruise was to the Caribbean with the same cruise line. We had a completely different experience. The food was just as good, the shows were the same quality, but I found that it was impossible to get close to the pool, never mind go for a swim. People would stand in the water all day, drink in hand. As a result the pools were dirty by day's end and every night they had to be emptied and cleaned. We never swam once on board. Then there were the smokers! There was a designated smoking area, but that rule was constantly broken, until we complained. The staff made an extra effort to enforce the rule. It seemed that all people wanted to do was drink and party. Thank goodness we again found some quiet areas. We enjoyed the shopping arcade – a great place to people watch, but not too noisy.
    In conclusion, I can't compare cruise lines but I will say that I will never ever sail to the Caribbean again.
    We just booked another cruise with the same company to the Mediterranean for 14 nights. Our cabin is on deck 12. Sea sickness doesn't bother us. I'm looking forward to the ocean view.

41. Con Princess the food sucks. On a seven day cruise they ran out of bacon on the second day

42. The ice in your glass is distracting.

43. MSC is good, but not well known in the U.S. They're starting to do some Caribbean cruises tho.

44. I'm a Norwegian girl all the way! Buttttttt, I may explore Carnivals Horizon this year only bc it leaves from my New York port.

45. On NCL I don't care about wifi prices because I go on the cruise to disconnect and live in the moment of the vacation. The dining on the Escape is fantastic, main or specialty. The western caribbean itinerary leaves something to be desired, though. It's a great line for middle of the road budgets. I sail once a year for a week at a time and NCL is the cruise line for me.