Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Gratuities/Tips on board a cruise ship

Information on gratuities and tips on board a cruise ship.
Who to tip!
How much to tip!
At the end something that ALL crew wants you to know!!

RCI- Gratuities page-

Celebrity – Gratuities page-

Check out the cruise lines websites-

1. I am considering to tell the Cruise Line to remove the Prepayment for Gratuity. I would directly tip the staff that provides service directly to me. My QUESTION is : are there any negative ramifications that I might incur from the Cruise Line ? Thank you for your input .

2. Many of the employees are from small countries with low income. Our last steward was sending money back home to support his mother and siblings. The employees work hard to make sure your vacation is a memorable one, so let them know that you appreciate them with a tip! It is amazing how good you feel when you hand them an envelope with your appreciation in it.

3. Thank you , this helped because I will be going on my first cruise in January 😀

4. THE TRUTH ABOUT GRATUITIES/TIPPING:
    You might find this enlightening about tipping… and let me know if any former employees deny what I'm about to say.
    My friend (a steward on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruises) told me that they NEVER see any of the AUTO-PAY-GRATUITIES. They are given a meager salary contract, and that's it. The cruiseline subsidize client auto-tipping to pay their pocket books and pay for the employees, however, the employees never really see an increase in their salaries from the tips (which is what tipping/gratuities are supposed to be about, right?). My friend suggested that if you want to benefit the employee the most, cancel the auto-gratuity at the front desk, and give all your servers (room, dining, etc.) a generous personal tip. That way the awesome servers get their salary + a gratuity, instead of the cruiseline retaining the gratuity.

5. Excellent video and information

I have no problem paying gratuities and extra tips. The service staff work 12 to 14 hours during cruises (include the midnight/overnight crew who prepare our meals for breakfast, clean the public floors and restrooms, etc).

Gratuities and extra tips may be used by cruise workers to send funds to home nations for family support or supplement college fees for career advancement

6. Maybe they should add the gratuities in with the cost of the cruise. That way nobody gets butt hurt.

7. I don't give any gratuities, holiday cost enough in the first place, is it because im English ? We just don't do it. Call me tight, I really don't care

8. Aussies are as strange to us as Americans as we are to them. People are confused because we share the same language, but we are far from the same culture. I've known a lot of Aussies who moved to America and inevitably there are clashes because Aussies can be very stubborn and very pompous when they don't like a part of our cultures, and there are many. We figure they came here and should show respect or at least tolerance. I've had more than my share of "heated discussions" that got real glose to non-verbal debate when Aussies got really insulting. The way we figure, there are around 6 billion people who would give anything to come to America and many risk their lives. So we don't like it when another English speaking country is given preference and act like… you know.

About tipping in America. The term comes from "To Insure Proper Service", but has evolved into rewarding enthusiastic service that makes the experience much better. Apparently unlike Australia, Americans don't rely on goods and services treating their employees well, so we accept that responsibility and enjoy it. Besides, tipping makes the transaction much less mechanical. We don't want service from human robots, we want them to be treated like human beings with respect and as a personal experience for both. Americans also prefer to pay tips in cash directly to the employee most of the time. It's important for the employee to know you tipped them and how much. Again, it makes the experience more personal.

You really missed the point by making it an obligation by prepaying. Americans regard that as crass and insulting. So don't tell Americans you did that, they'll snub you. It can be a very touching subject. There were several times I went out to dinner with a group that had Aussies. When they didn't tip I reminded them that is the custom. When they refused I got very angry and only a couple (males) still refused. The good old Aussie male macho ego. With them all I had to do is embarrass them by contemptuously saying I'll pay the tip. Only one of them threatened to take me outside if I did. I paid the tip and motioned him to come outside. About 6 Americans grabbed him and informed him I was a Mastel Martial Artist (I wouldn't have hurt him too bad, just enough to learn some manners ).

I hope this gives you at least a little more insight into Americans, there really is a lot more to us than meets the eye. Thank you for the video it was very helpful.

Thomas

9. This stinks. Look up the definition of the word gratuity & notice that most definitions include the word voluntary. I will not associate with any business that charges a mandatory gratuity. I have never been on a cruise & after hearing about this tipping scam I definitely won't go on one now. ( I heard they are boring anyhow ) I went to eat a few years ago with about 12 people, the person paying the bill was going to leave a 20 dollar bill on the table for a tip & then my friend noticed that the receipt showed an automatic ( or mandatory ) gratuity of 12 dollars, so he picked up the 20 dollar bill & gave it back to the person that put it there & we left. The restaurant lost 8 dollars for their stupid automatic greed. Ha Ha. If it was me I would also never go back. I don't mean to sound cheap or anything, I just think this practice is very wrong. What if every time you stopped for a traffic light with a bum there you had to give them a dollar or two ? We would all go broke & bums would have all the money or more of us would become bums. Maybe more people would die from running red lights so they wouldn't have to stop where a bum is. I wouldn't doubt it if that is already happening. I hate stopping next to a bum myself as I usually don't have any cash on me. Please don't run red lights, you might kill someone. Keep tips voluntary or get no business I say. Thanks.

10. As an Australian I just don't like the idea of tipping at all… it's so demeaning. The staff need to go on strike and demand better pay. I find in Oz now so many coffee shops are placing tips jars at the counter… WTF I already pay $6 for a coffee that would only cost 50c to make so I have already tipped $5.50 to cover wages, rent and supplies… Oh and lets not forget this vile government now getting rid of weekend penalty rates… Seems like they (the government) are now what us the public to pay staff wages via tips also..

11. 12345678910

12. `12

13. we have been on Ms Legand of the seas It was great

14. It's just so wrong!
    Would you pay a gratuity at the same time as you booked a table in a restaurant? Of course not! You wait until the end of the meal and then tip depending on the service! Do you tip the staff at your local gym? Never! Do you tip the dry cleaners when they launder your clothes? No! Do most of us get a tip for doing their job? No!!
    If everybody on a 5000 passenger cruise ship paid 10 dollars a day in advance for a 10 day cruise, that's $500,000 dollars. Do you really think the cruise company is going to give 100% to their staff?
    This tips scam should be stopped by all countries and they should be made to pay their staff a living wage. If the cruise lines refuse, you simply stop them advertising and collecting money from these countries.
    Until that day comes, I will NEVER book a cruise.

15. I'm planning to go on a cruise. My gratuities will be prepaid, but I will want to tip additional for excellent service. Must I wait until the last day to do this, or can I pay additional gratuities as I feel necessary?

16. Why do we have to pay for tips on a cruise ship? We don't pay tips in Australia, I have paid for my cruise then have to pay for any extras that aren't included in the cruise fare which adds up to alot…why aren't the cruise companies paying their employees the correct wage amount? This smells like a big scam to me, when I booked my cruise it didn't inform me that I had to pay part of their employees wages. I just don't understand this at all.

17. I wouldn't pay upfront I want best of service and pay as you go Incase you don't get a good service

18. How do we go about getting a refund if we get bad service?

19. Hi Pipa, my wife and i have both purchased the drinks package which i believe the tips are already payed, When we booked they never asked or offered us the option of pre paying , we went through Cruise sale finder, i gather they will charge us on the boat now when we travel?

20. Great information. Thanks

21. what about Bar staff? we travelling RC explorer in feb ist timers

22. Thank you for your info ….  awesome!!!

23. It does sound tipping is very different in Australia than in the states. In addition to the automatic tips, I generally give my steward $40 per week as long as they did a good job which has been always so far. I've been sailing NCL mostly of late and I give my favorite bartender $5-10 per day. You'd be surprised how much better your drinks and service will be. On my last cruise he was usually pouring my drinks when he saw me walking up to the bar. On trip was particularly funny, he was pouring my gin and tonic and a guy seated at the bar commented about how much gin he poured in the drink. Dining on NCL is a bit trickier as you likely will never have the same server twice but would definitely tip for good service. On a line with set dining, I usually tip $20-40 for head waiter, and $10-20 for the assistant. I hate sitting with people who complain about nothing just to justify not tipping. I have studied the industry and a cabin steward for example may make only $500-700 per month before any extra tips given by customers. This is an economical vacation and another $100 or so isn't going to kill anyone who can afford a cruise and will make a big impact on those serving you. JMHO. Happy Sailing!

24. Very good explanation of the hottest cruising topic in social media. Cheers

25. I love your video, thank you! ^_^

26. So we are going on the radiance of the seas soon and had no idea about this! Can we cancel the tips before the cruise or when we get on the boat? And just pay when we want too??