Caribbean Cruises

Grandfather offered plea deal in girl's cruise ship death

An attorney for the grandfather of a toddler who fell to her death on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship tells CBS News that prosecutors are offering a plea deal. Sam Anello was surrounded by reporters as he left a Puerto Rico courtroom Tuesday. He’s charged with negligent homicide in the July death of his granddaughter, 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand. David Begnaud reports.

Watch “CBS This Morning” HERE:
Download the CBS News app on iOS HERE:
Download the CBS News app on Android HERE:
Like “CBS This Morning” on Facebook HERE:
Follow “CBS This Morning” on Twitter HERE:
Follow “CBS This Morning” on Instagram HERE:
Get new episodes of shows you love across devices the next day, stream local news live, and watch full seasons of CBS fan favorites anytime, anywhere with CBS All Access. Try it free!
Each weekday morning, “CBS This Morning” co-hosts Gayle King, Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil deliver two hours of original reporting, breaking news and top-level newsmaker interviews in an engaging and informative format that challenges the norm in network morning news programs. The broadcast has earned a prestigious Peabody Award, a Polk Award, four News & Documentary Emmys, three Daytime Emmys and the 2017 Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Newscast. The broadcast was also honored with an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award as part of CBS News division-wide coverage of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Check local listings for “CBS This Morning” broadcast times.

1. The ship video is online and it clearly shows him sticking his head out of the window before he picks up the toddler, leaning across the railing and dangles out of the window, then lets go. He knew that window was open. Why would he want to do that to that poor baby at 11 floors high – did he want to scare her? Cruel. Then the stupidity ends in tragedy. This family is refusing the plea deal and wants to go to court. I hope this man goes to jail for his reckless and dangerous actions that caused that poor toddler a terrifying and horrible death. The ghoulish family just want a payday from the RCC from this man's stupid and dangerous actions.

2. The family is like we want to sue them to uh fix the boat lol comical. Its not a little boat its a cruise ship. They keep insisting it the window in a kids play area its not its dining area kids play is an arcade at he back of ship and the pool area. He just take the plea deal. They really saying the ship puts signs on windows to say when they are open or closed really most people can tell by a breeze if one is open. In the video described he stuck his head out the open window and the rail to check. Yeh family does not want the video to service on the net yeh maybe because they know he looks reckless in what he did. Sounds like the security videos are pretty damning that the cruise ship has. But family keeps pushing on the lawsuit. Authorities and cruise gonna push back. Gramps just have to live with his guilt should have just left her 2 feet on the ground and let her bang on the closed lower window with bars on it. She still be here.

3. This "Grandpa" is a COLD BLOODED MURDERER! HE KILLED THE GIRL! He looks at the window 1st(leans forward, head out) then grabs the girl.VIRAL VIDEO is available from Puerto Rico Media. See for your self https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=454942918790476&id=163113404640097

4. It is not the cruise ship's fault. It was extremely poor judgement on the grandfather's part. Negligent homicide is correct.

5. Something is really off about this whole case. If I hung a baby out a window (which I wouldn’t) I would blame myself. That is the part that doesn’t make sense. The responsibility is clearly with the grandfather but everyone in the family is avoiding it. There is a reason why he is being charged. We didn’t know the whole story yet but it will unfold eventually. I have a feeling he has record of breaking the law before. It is possible too that witnesses were not on grandpas side. I think he was impaired at the time of the incident but not sure how. One day it will dawn on the parents that the grandfather was careless and is responsible for his actions.

6. It's like my mom told me was showing on TV on Puerto Rico, then he deserve go to jail, he move his torso towards the open window with part of his body outside, then take the girl and throw her out. He don't deserve the deal, he deserve to go to jail.
    So yes he knows the windows was open. At first I was alarmed by how fast they try to sue the cruise ship after girls dead, now I think they are horrible people. Poor girl!

7. Convict him let him serve jail time..the idiot looked then grip the kid from the window.15 yrs for gramps.

8. Its amazingly wicked, but i think he may have killed that little girl for a lawsuit opportunity' the video shows he stuck his head out for like 10secs… Then lifted her over the rail for another 30secs before she fell- I'm mean like really…. He couldn't feel the breeze, heat, wind, or the noise, thats an evil grandfather😒

9. Family is shocked it shows his guilt.. This was not a children's area there are adult lounge there the children's area is on the other side

10. I really think he killed her. People like that exist.

11. Royal Caribbean have NOTHING to do with what happened, family wants to hide the truth

12. Why CBS justify the actions of this man ?

13. You can’t toddler proof a cruise ship. Or anything else. Hotel balconies are just as fatal if you drop a toddler over. Watching a toddler means being preventative. It’s your job to watch your kid. Nobody before said the guy was colorblind and can’t see tinting. He walked up to a open window, looked over, then put his kid over the railing. Not up to the railing. Not on his chest. But tossing her over onto the glass that wasn’t there. Even if the glass were there that’s reckless. Especially if he knew he couldn’t tell between glass and not and his eyesight is obviously impaired. It was a mistake own up and stop blaming others. The family almost has to blame rci because otherwise they have to admit their in-law killed their kid by accident and would tear the family apart

14. Grandfather is guilty. Case closed.

15. As a grandmother, I cannot fathom what made this grandparent take ANY chance with his grandchild. Color blind usually affects COLORS not clear glass. I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy for this guy. I would lay down my life for my grandchild, not put their life in danger for "fun". I would take any plea they offered because if I knew I killed my own grandchild, I don't think I could live with it.

16. How dumb can you be oml

17. Typical attitude these days, blame everybody else for your problems

18. There's nothing to be done here. What happened happened… There's no fixing it. There should be no charges and no lawsuit.

19. No cruise line can provide a "safe" area when grandpa puts the girl out the window & lets go. "Negligent Homicide" is a sweet deal, more than I'd give him.

20. Why are the parents blaming the cruise ship. What are reasonably safe windows? If the window was open that means that he opened the window. So????

21. after watching the video – personally i feel like they are going with the ‘he didn’t know it was open’ cause that sounds better than him coming out an saying he let her slip / he would automatically be charged – he HAD to know it was open he leaned over it for seconds – end of the day it was an accident – he gotta live with what happened and that’s punishment enough.

22. Grandpa was a huge Michael Jackson fan

23. Fix the cruise ship? I guess that's the only answer since you can't fix stupid

24. #supportashley
    #believeallwomen

25. I'm so tired of that wig

26. He’s an idiot. And we’re all paying the price every time we go on the cruise now. Not the cruise lines fault.

27. Dude must feel like a creep…..

28. Grandpa isn’t bright

29. He is the definition of democratic leadership

30. They should be suing the grandpa .

31. He has no remorse….

32. I think any devastated grandfather would be willing to go to prison for life simply out of guilt.prolly even be willing to go to the death chamber.

33. No facts yet, just talking away about nothing!!!! Wait for FACTS! That's right Sue the ship!

34. Facts and feelings aside…
    Being color blind doesn't prevent you from distinguishing different shade intensities (gradient)….
    (EXAMPLE: Light gray to black)

35. The look on their faces…. This was about money.

36. What is the point of further punishment? Imagine what he has to live with every day…

37. Salmonella kills 5 year old girl…

38. lol now he's color blind and they want some money from the cruise line…NEWS FLASH…. IT'S YOUR DADS FAULT…DAD PICKED HER UP DAD EXTENDED HER OVER THE RAIL DAD DROPPED HER…

39. Why wasn't the window higher it's unsafe period

40. I was on the grandpa/parents side. But he clearly knew it was open.
    If my child died like this idk if sueing the ship would even cross my mind.

41. Thia man shouldn't be charged at all. The owners of the ship should be prosecuted. Funny how the ship fixed the window right afterwards. This is complete negligence.

42. Wonder if he's taking a cruise ship down there for his next hearing.

43. Puerto Rico is a joke
    Their justice system is ridiculous

44. What a disgraceful family

45. such denial going on here. You tell enough lies you start to believe them. The Grandfather lied to his family. He picked her up and dropped her. Now he wants us to believe he's color blind? wow, his lie just gets bigger and bigger. He better take the plea cause he's going to prison otherwise