Miami Cruises

What you need to know about test cruises

Who wants to go on a test cruise? It seems a lot of people do, and here is everything we know so far about the test sailings that Royal Caribbean (and all the cruise lines) are required to do!

How to sign up as a volunteer:

[Subscribe for more Royal Caribbean videos!]

How to support Royal Caribbean Blog:
During Streams – Click the Dollar Sign by the Chat Box!
Anytime – Go to

[Listen to our Podcast]

Get news, information and advice at

[Social Links]

1. I am signed up for a test cruise if it doesn’t leave the dock I don’t care I just want to get on board a ship to me the ship is your vacation even though this is not a vacation but I am willing to go for it no matter what we have got to do hopefully they only need one test sailing

2. I applied to be a volunteer. I think the test sailings are ultimately a ploy to prohibit cruising until the spring. Since there's no definitive criteria, the CDC can jack the cruise lines around on little stuff like, you don't have enough hand sanitizer, run another test cruise. It's just another way the CDC holds the cruise industry hostage. Still I look forward to be part of the solution.

3. I have a dream to make a journey in such a cruise ship but money is factor! Such dreams can be matrialized by Millionaires. I have to keep such dreams in my pocket and then to look at the sky free of cost!

4. There's so much up in the air on these but I'm hyper curious about how they will work and what they will reveal.

5. I think they will need 4-6 test cruises to get the full experiences needed to prove to the CDC that cruising is safe. I volunteered because I care a ton about the industry and plan to work in it very soon so I would like to be part of the solution.

6. I signed up as I believe we have to start somewhere and test the framework out. I'd just like a break and being onthe sea is as good as any and I dont mind being a Guinea Pig. It looks like the double point I was hoping to get might just go bang if all sailings longer than 7 days are cancelled as all of mine are 8 days plus.Id just like to get 2 moire points to finally get to be a diamond.

7. I'm signed up. I dont really care if the ship goes anywhere or not, of course it would be nice though. If people are needed to get this thing going again I'm all about it!

8. I volunteered and would love to get chosen! Having said that, I think the vaccine will change the game and we will be back cruising in March 😀

9. Since some of the communication needs to be in writing, staff are not on-board yet, ships are not in US waters yet, critical path at least 2-3:months before ships get certified to sail. 1st covid case will kill sailings for other ships. This will be interesting. I bet those test cruises will not be as much fun as people expect.

10. That was some very good information

11. So bottom line you don’t really know in 7 minutes what RC will do…. smh

12. Omg…..that's alot of restrictions. I rather wait until it's 100% ready to go. I wanna use my cruise credit before it expires by the end of next year.

13. I think the test cruises are a good thing. Would I want to do it? Sure. Its a return to normalcy that we all need I think. I dont think I'll get tapped for it though since there's only 1 cruise port near me and its tiny. But, if they want to test out the smaller port of Baltimore, sign me up!

14. We have a cruise end of March on Harmony and I am confident it will sail.

15. Hi Matt I don’t think cruising will get started until after flu season in the US is over which is April 2021. I signed up because I want to be part of getting cruising restart it. I believe that each ship will need to go through the simulated cruise experience at least twice possibly three times to call out that Delta. So I’m just sitting back and waiting I just hope we get cruising by September because I do have a European cruise scheduled on Royal Caribbean.

16. I would love to go on a test cruise to do my part to get cruising back to "normal". How many cruises, at least 1 or 2 per ship as all cruise ships need to be certified. How long will this take, lets get started in December ans should be done maybe January or February 2021 at the latest as long as all goes well. That is four weeks of four day cruise times in December Monday to Friday. If there are Covid issues, which should not happen if proper pre cruise tests are done, and the crew has all the required training. So, lets get the test cruises going so we can be back to cruising next year Loyal to Royal

17. The trial sailings are an excellent proposal to build confidence in the consistency of the management system to ensure medical and safety assurance. Realisticially it will be March 2021 at the earliest to complete all preparations in readiness to start cruise operations, not least because the ports have to step up, as well as the simulated emergency response from local hospitals, labs etc.

18. If they keep doing excursions, then they are going to keep getting Covid-19 cases.

19. Already lifted and shifted my March 2021 to March 2022. But I did sign up to be a tester.

20. I signed up and seeing how I have COVID I am a perfect test passenger

21. TO HELP FACILITATE THE PROCESS, COVID-19 TESTING SHOULD BE FDA APPROVED TO PREVENT LESS FALSE POSITIVE RESULTS; IN ADDITION TO "HOW & WHAT" PROCEDURES SHOULD BE IN PLACE TO COLLECT ALL SAMPLES. (APPARENTLY, ALL COMPANIES DO NOT OPERATE THE SAME WAY) UNTIL THEN, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET WHAT WE'VE BEEN GETTING.

22. Right now it's a "monkey see monkey do" type of situation. CCL cancels January cruises so naturally all other major cruiselines will do the same.

23. My belief is that these test cruises will be conducted using the Mariner, Navigator, Independence and Brilliance. They should begin some time in January.
    They will probably do 2 test cruise per ship, 3 nights each to CoCoCay and back. All the data collected has to be accurate then submitted to the CDC for review.
    The CDC will take at least 2 months to respond. If favorable, the guidelines might be 30-40% capacity and sailings no longer than 7 nights.

24. Actually depends on when crew is trained then FULL interactive sailing may begin June 2021.

25. So most likely they will cancel January?? Suppose to go on my first cruise January 2nd

26. I would hope no more than 3/4 at the max test sailings. I would be interested in it but I think my wife is at higher risk.
    And you say that it is no revenue-generating cruises, so does that mean that the specialty dining there won't be any extra cover charge for karma as well as the alcohol beverage packages? And what about the souvenir shops and bingo? All things you have to pay extra for not to even mention the casino. So they may still charge for those and is there going to be gratuities?

27. My guess is that regular cruises won’t begin until at least summer 2021, and those will be markedly different than cruises in the past.

28. 2nd comment!!!!!!

29. It all depends on who will be president of United States on January 20, 2021 weather will be allowed to be cruising again or not cruising Period as it looks now Joe Biden will be president so I’m looking on not cruising anytime soon maybe in about a year or two maybe

30. First comment!!