Honeymoon Cruise

How Royal Caribbean Tricks You Into Spending More Money

It’s no secret that Royal Caribbean uses some creative ways to get you to spend more money on your cruise vacation. Being aware of them can help you to make more informed choices and, hopefully, save a little bit of money along the way.

Why you should use a travel agent:

[Subscribe for more Royal Caribbean videos!]

[Listen to our Podcast]

[Social Links]

1. The topic is always the ships – if you doing Hawaii with 10 sea days yes the ship and onboard features matters a lot – when you doing Caribbean and dream about those white sandy beaches BE CAREFUL!!! Some of those Caribbean ports are super super dodgy! The ONLY nice Caribbean Ports are St. Thomas, St Maarten, Barbados, Peurto Rico, Aruba and Cozumel- avoid at all and any cost a tender port – This includes Grand Caymen – you are going to spend almost an hour trying to get on and off the ship. Never ever go to Jamaica, Grenada – you will get harassed, robbed …. also carefully look at arrival and departure times – do not select a cruise that have ports with arrival times later than 10am or departure times earlier than 6pm

2. I'd never go on a cruise

3. Right now i would throw money at them to take me on a real cruise

4. He says Book Refundable Cruises but doesn't say Just Avoid Next/Cruises

5. Very informative. Taking my first cruise this year so this helps. Tks.

6. What if Disney Cruise Line or your private yacht had a FlowRider?

7. Seeing all those beach seats right next to each other always depresses me. I feel bad for people who have to enjoy the beach like that. Here in NZ I can visit the beach and be the only person there ALL day. Things we take for granted eh.

8. It's been nearly 15 years since we cruised Royal Caribbean. Back then if the drink was made in a glass, they charged you for the glass. You could keep it as a souvenir, except we didn't know this. We would leave those glasses at the bar or on our table. If you wanted to save some money, then you asked for your drink in a plastic cup. Is this still true?

9. You have to be an alcoholic to drink enough to pay off the drink package! Who the hell drinks 5 to 6 cocktails a day? If you do, you have a drinking problem!

10. Hi Matt. What about when you are eating dinner in the dinning room and the waiter is trying to give me deals off to go into the specialty restaurants like Wonderland, Jamie's and others on Harmony of the Seas. It seems if they can get me into the upscale restaurants they can get more money from me. I said no thank you I'll eat here for free.

11. The drink package is a complete rip off. I can’t imagine ever drinking that much. Every time I’ve cruised you can usually ask the bartender for a card that allows you to buy 10 drinks for a set price. Ask the bartenders.

12. Royal Caribbean has done a great job combining the movie theater experience & the Disney World (theme park) experience into a 7 day vacation hostage situation. Once you're on the ship it's like being stuck in a movie theater or in a theme park for 7 days of overpriced everything! It would be great if they could charge normal prices for most things but they overcharge for everything… They take way to much advantage of The situation. Oh yeah and if you take the drink package option for alcohol and you get your money's worth out of it, you must be a massive alcoholic or you will be. The individual drinks are too expensive and the drink package requires you to drink like a drunken sailor in order to get your money's worth out of it…. It is unfortunate.

13. Drink packages is so worth it. I just came off liberty of the seas with my gf ( her first my 8, second with RC) and four drinks a day made us even. Forget the beer go with the drinks u never get.

14. Since you can bring two bottles of wine to your cabin when you board, and also can have bottles purchased on shore and delivered to your room, a moderate drinker would be perfectly happy without the drink package. I have seen people annoyed with the first drink when they eagerly accept it, take a sip and then ask "this is free right?" It is the first warning of hidden costs!

15. Is the unlimited dinner package a good deal

16. Don’t forget about the Internet package I paid for it on my last cruise and for 4 devices on a 4 day cruise it cost me $213

17. The drink package would be worth it if one person purchases it and gets the drinks for a group of people. They do not check that identification matches the sea pass, so you can share.

I think the “trick” is when the ship offers special sales events and incentivize it by offering free champagne or $2 mimosas. They use these events to aggressively try and sell you on different things.

I also think the restaurants are overhyped and overpriced compared to complimentary options.

18. Constant selling….half our cruise destinations cancelled. Never again.

19. Iove the drink package I had it n will have every time to drink n not be worried… n u can get drinks for other people u have fun with… i loved every minute n I had no hangover none during the cruise

20. Went on a cruise in college with my girlfriend. We did a waterfall hike excursion in Belize that we booked ourselves and the outfitter happened to be the same one the cruise line used. So we got off the ship, got in the same vans as the people who bought it through the cruise, had the same guides, the same lunch, saw the same stuff, and took the same vans back to the ship. Only difference was we paid less for both of us than everybody else paid per person.

21. Ok I I don’t have to love this channel

22. I know for a fact I don't get my moneys worth for a drink package, however when on vacation I don't like to think about how much I'm spending. By prepaying as much as possible enables me to enjoy my day more.

23. Where do you get those specialty coffees and fresh OJ?

24. My boyfriend and I recently got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise (like 12 days ago). Before we went, he encouraged me to look at the drink packages as he bought one. I looked and I immediately knew that there was no way I would drink $46 a day in alcohol. I'm a light drinker and I haven't had a soda in about 4 years. So my decline to purchase a package was smart. I had water with my meals and in the Windjammer, I had either orange juice with breakfast or lemonade with lunch or dinner. I may have had 2 alcoholic drinks during the cruise and those were purchased in the Schooner Bar. As far as excursions go, ours were great…with the exception of the one that got canceled. (Yes, we were refunded the price.) We chose to book through Royal Caribbean because, as others have stated, we know that the boat will not leave us. Next Cruise did get us though. We booked our next cruise on Embarkation day. Lol.

25. Dang how long is that ship?

26. I love the drink package. What wasn’t mentioned was that not only does the drink package include any alcohol that you could possibly want, but it also includes bottled water, soda, and non alcoholic fruity drinks as well.

27. Agreed, I"ll pay the extra money for a peace of mind.

28. I got 2 bottles of rum in Havana….bought them on the ship with me, found 2 refill cups in my room still in their wrap. I did not have to purchase any soda. I drank rum and cokes for the next 3 days all day. That was great.

29. Alcoholics love the drink package

30. Screw Royal Carribean. Dont even get Johnny Rockets for free. Showing Carnival love. If you havent cruised Carnival you are missing out. Dont believe the negatives

31. Don't ever buy the overpriced poor quality diamond rings ! Don't ever purchase the overpriced watches with no warranty or refund !

32. Taking a cruise is a constant battle to hold onto your wallet against scam after scam to get your money.

33. Don't forget it's alcohol, specialty coffee, soda package, fresh squeezed OJ, and bottled water at about 65 per day on a RCCL ship is worth it. my last cruise my drinks cost me 475.00

34. 5 to 6 drinks a day to make the drink package worth it🤔
    I had at like 5 to 6 🥤drinks every few hours

35. Thinking of a 14 day cruise to Barcelona. I have heard RC will charge me $35 a day for Room Service. That's $500 for the trip. That's ridiculous as I'll rarely be in the room but to sleep. Anyway to decline this?

36. I used to work I marketing for RCCL… their goal is to have you out of your room as much as possible, that’s why the Tv selection sucks!

37. Royal Caribbean is fun . Go every 1 year on crusie

38. Thought they cancelled the refinance Cruise fares?

39. Am not doing the drink package no more paid for it and fir my daughter we barely used it and viator has some really good tour deals too Always booked with viator short tour duration that way you are getting back on the ship on time.

40. Your voice is dreamy

41. Just off RC about 2 weeks ago. We have cruised Carnival the past 6 cruises. Felt like there was always a charge for something on RC. A few bucks for this , or a few bucks for that. Felt like we were nickel and dimed all week. Never felt that way with Carnival. From now on, we Choose Fun.

42. Most cruise lines "trick" people in to spending more. Not just RCL!!

43. I enjoy your video's. You've taught me a lot!

44. If you go to a beach in the Caribbean find out from the cruise staff the best ones
    To go to and also where most of cabs go to. If you just want to beach bum
    It you can go for more than 1/2 the cost than if you booked the excursion. Also there are snorkel vendors you can negotiate the price with. Also get together with people you meet on board or your group the more that fill a can or can the cheaper it is.

In St Marten there is a small beach next to all the shops. You can rent a chair that comes with a few drinks and WiFi and bathroom use. Stay for a couple hours then go shopping close by. The water taxi pier is close enough to take you to back.

Another good tip is book your shows early for the Oasis ships. If it’s sold out sometimes you can ask the cruise director staff and they can sneak you in if there no shows.

45. I’ve done excursions with the ship about twice already and it was costly and I didn’t find it any safer than when you get a cab on your own. Save the extra cash on the excursions instead.

46. MY wife and myself went on the Greek isle cruise last summer and had a super time. It was our first cruise in almost 20 years and we didn't book anything on shore through the cruise line. We found tours etc… online in most areas and were actually thrilled with how it turned out. If you're the nervous type then maybe going through the cruise line is best but understand you will pay more and most likely be traveling in a crowd during your tour. If you're up for an adventure then do it on your own and save some bucks! One of our tours was only 8 people(two guides) to a Greek farm and hidden away beach and it was something we will never forget!

47. I don’t have any money.. so hah!!