Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound, that is the question… // Trip to Fiordland, New Zealand

Jump to 11:48 to hear my conclusion and tips on both Sounds! Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound in Fiordland National Park are both unbelievably gorgeous but if you only have time/money to visit only one, then there was one clear winner in my mind.

If you want to have the perfect Milford Sound experience, then I recommend cruise with the coach service from Queenstown/Te Anau They have small groups and personal approach! Our coach driver from Fiordland Tours was just the best 🙂

Our Doubtful Sound tour provider was Real Journeys Adventures ( they were good, too. They are the cheapest but be warned – the buses, boats and groups are big so it can feel quite crowded.

WHY IS IT CALLED “SOUND”?
Both Doubtful and Milford Sound are actually a fjords and it’s wrongly named because the first Europeans discovering New Zealand who named them didn’t know really the difference between a sound and a fjord (well, neither did I…). A sound is a result of the sea’s invasion on a river valley to form an extended inlet characterized by sloping valley hillsides which sink to current sea level and deeper under water. A fjord is a narrow steep-sided valley filled with seawater. It is formed by a glacier which washes away the bedrock of an area as it tumbles down. Smarter every day, eh! 🤓

#newealand #milfordsound #doubtfulsound

Annapurna Circuit, Nepal 2017:

ME ELSEWHERE:
Facebook:
Facebook group:
Instagram:
Home:

1. I did the two day kayaking on Doubtful sound and one day on Milford amazing experience.

2. Wow, you were so lucky with the weather!

We drove all day and saw absolutely nothing !

3. A beautiful experience for a beautiful person in a beautiful place.
    Thank-you for sharing this.

4. Thank you for this video, we’re going to NZ in a few months and couldn’t decide between doubtful and Milford, Milford it is! What company did you use for the cruise there? We absolutely want to get under the waterfalls!

5. Maiu thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I have to say this was just wonderful – watching it, my heart was filled with joy and excitement. So much beauty at every turn it even brought a few tears to my eyes. I've been watching your videos for some time now. You are an amazing person. You have inspired me to hike more and even begin trying my hand at watercolor painting during my adventures! I really love your mom with her sense of humor, intelligence, strength and such dignity. The two of you together warms my heart with the memories you are making together – and sharing with all of us.

6. Great video!

7. So beautiful, almost made me cry…..damn I'm getting old lol.

8. Hello Maiu, thank you. My wife and I explored Milford Sound many many gears ago. your beautiful video brought back many cherished memories.❤

9. Hi, I have been to Norway fjords and This New Zealand fjords as well..Both are awesome but My preference goes to Norway…but since I was a refugee from Communism, I would pick New Zealand because I want to get the farthest from Russia possible..I still love to live so after The Next WW3 , may be only New Zealand still stand…here I come … to Kiwi land.

10. Stunning.

11. I suggest having no music so we can also hear the “sound of silence.”

12. Hey , you are really seeing some cool south Island spots and walks.
    If your returning to Auckland pm me if you would like any local advice on the north of the north

13. aren't you a lovely person. Thanks for sharing

14. 방가워요 여기는 이제 가을이네요
    에스토니아는 어떤가요?

15. Once upon a time, I drove tour bus for a little tour company that came into the town I live in. The people on the tourist that came off the boat would tell me, the crew was better than the big cruise ships. Oh, and the purser would always invite me onto the boat for lunch. Great meals too. Thank you for the video.

16. I was never "doubtful" that you would post a good video……👏👏👏👏😉Excellent scenery

17. Very majestic great video👍😃

18. I love your mom’s observation on being part of the boat.

19. Silence, a rare treat in this modern world.

20. Looks like New Zealand was first in line when all the great scenery was handed out. Beautiful film. 😁

21. The early morning pictures on the milford road were amazing!!!!

for our school biology trip we went to doubtful sound for a week – the place is amazing when it rains unless you are half way up a mountain collecting bugs and seeds . The whole mountain side turns into a stream – when thought we had waterproof jackets but they were not fiordland water proof.
    The milford trip is great to do just after the weather has clear after a heavy rain storm.

22. Maiu's Mum is the greatest.

23. Our ship had kayaks for us to use besides they used the life boats to take others out and about.

24. Hey Hiker,

Not likely I'll be going there, but it looks like a great time.
    I love that comment, "You want to be part of the nature, but you feel like part of the boat" ! What a great way to say that.

Looking forward to your next video, as always.

25. Bliss! ☺️

26. It’s brilliant their I have been to both

27. Listening to the wildlife in the sound was wonderful, but we had some tourists that didn't understand english and kept on talking. I had to yell at them and placed my finger over my lips and than they shuted up so we all could hear everything from the waterfalls to the birds to animals calling out.

28. Been there but did not hike it. They took us out on a boat smaller than a cruise liner that the Captain loved sailing so he had the sail hoisted and sailed around in the Sound. So we had to take a ship to the one side where the mountains were high, than most of us were eaten by the flies before the buses arrived than they drove us over these mountains to get on the ship to cruise around in the sound. That mountain road was scary as hell and I landed on an Aircraft Carrier out in the Mediterranean Sea on a small C-1 Cod.
    New Zealand was beautiful. I and my x girlfriend got there 6 months after the big Earthquake at Christchurch about 8 years ago.

29. I'm fairly sure that water fall water worked!! At the end of the video, both u and ur mom appeared @ least 10 years younger!! 😎 As always, awesome, beautiful and relaxing video!!

30. Absolutely stunning, thank you so much for sharing. Great video as always.

31. Hello Maiu, sincere thanks for sharing this beautifully filmed video. You always seem to capture the beauty of nature. I am hooked on your wonderful videos. The very best to you and your Mom. Always take good care of yourself. 🤗

32. Amazing trip awesome video Thanks for sharing it with us 👍