Mediterranean Cruises

Authentic Tastes of Sardinia & Sicily | Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes | BBC Documentary

In Sardinia, Rick watches as the local fishermen catch mullet using methods that date back to Ancient Roman times before boarding a ferry to Sicily. In Palermo, he finds one of the best pasta dishes he has ever tasted and pasta alla norma, with ricotta salata cheese from Catania on the east coast of Sicily.

Episode 2 of Rick Stein’s Mediterranean Escapes
Inspired by ‘good food that stays in the memory for a long time, sometimes forever’, Rick Stein journeys across the Mediterranean, visiting islands and places which radiate a vibrant sense of individuality through their spirit, history and food. From spices and perfumes to the lavish use of wine and herbs, Mediterranean food is a large culinary mosaic full of colour, taste and smell created by the Arabs, Greeks, Italians, Spanish and Turks. Join Rick as he travels from Corsica to Crete, straight through the very cradle of cooking in the western world.

Welcome to the BBC Documentary channel, offering audiences long-form documentaries that deliver a thought provoking and captivating viewing experience inside key moments from history and the lives of fascinating people.

Want to share your views with the team? Join our fan panel:

Due to rights and sales restrictions, content on the channel may not be available in all territories. The availability of certain content may also change over time.

This is a channel from BBC Studios who help fund new BBC programmes. Service information and feedback:

1. Now here is a man who does justice to my homeland, Italy.

2. not only do you look in your late 80's the salt content must be skyrocket in these dishes..The real Sicilian couldn't afford salt

3. Swordfish cooked on the grille was my Favorite Meal as a KID. You could buy it for 10cents a pound. Now they have driven the price through the roof.

4. Sorry Rick Steve's, I've found another Rick, and he's just everything I wished you could be. Don't take it personal.

5. Rick Stien, the only TV chef who can put an orchestra to sleep. Interesting content. But he's no Floyd or Genarro.

6. What a wonderful video two thumbs up.

7. The eel guy is smirking. As an Asian, I utterlike dislike Italians already. 😅

8. I love how sometimes Italians / Sicilians replace fresh basil with fresh mint, but then they are related to each other.

9. 26:02 – Is that lemon ice??? (aka lemon granita?) That was another nice part of visiting my grandparents in Buffalo, NY who lived in the Italian section around Hertel Ave. There was an ice cream stand around the corner and for a quarter (or was it 50 cents) you could get a cup of lemon ice – made summer a little more special.

10. Not even 1/2 way thru the video and I'm going crazy about the food. Everything looks so good!!!! I love how they get the people working in the various establishments gathered in a group. I love the interaction with the people. The part about "chefs without egos" I was just complaining about that regarding so many of the "celebrity" chefs…mostly a bunch of overinflated idiots.

SNAILS!!! I can still remember the first time I had them at my Sicilian grandmother's house. Some of them crawled out of the container and we had to look for them. For many years the small local Italian shops had them in barrels (same with salt cod/bacala), the shops used to smell like herbs, garlic, dried sausages, cheeses and olive oil. I do not think there are any shops like that left, they seemed to pass just as the older immigrants began to age and pass away. Very sad but I doubt most people now would not know what todo with most of what was sold.

11. I totally agree with Mussolini about pasta, pasta like bread can make you lazy and sluggish when eating a lot of it.

12. Lovely Rick you are so lucky mmmmmm

13. Places like these, Italy, Sicily, reminds me of the RICH Islands of the PHILIPPINES a country rich and abundant of thousands of seafood: fish, sea weeds recipes, fresh fruits and vegetables….they fish IN THE PHILIPPINES as SHOWN HERE on this video.

14. Zuchina Lunga- Summer Squash- It is known as patola in the Philippines. Snails are also being eaten there.

15. 14:02 look at the dudes. Checking her out

16. Like the way he does this 53:11 now I bet you don't. It's a food show!

17. God this food is making me so hungry

18. Thanks anyway, really nice movie, and the joy of eating and cooking is evident. I was born on the shores of the Mediterranean, (Haifa, Israel) to jewish parents who came from Morocco and Turkey… and who shared Spanish medieval origins…. so Mediterranean food is in my blood, and It almost makes me laugh when Rick is so enthusiastic of lemon+olive-oil+garlic+parsley+herbs to put on your charred meats… I mean, man! that's basic! that's standard! that's every-day thing, that thing your hands do without even thinking or measuring anything. I'll also spare you the Moroccan variation specially made for deep-fried sardines. In Jewish-arabic dialect it's called "Zermella" (the Z sounds really a Ts). You use vinegar instead of lemon, and the spices are Cumin, Paprika-in-oil (sweat) and a little chilly flakes and that's all. It can blow your mind out, and raise a stupid urge to just "drink" the whole sauce… just try it on fried sardines, or actually any fried/charred fish, and yo'll thank me.

19. Wrong – Fish Couscous is quite popular in the sea towns of Morocco.

20. The way he takes the eel from the guy 🤣

21. The real Sardinian people seem carved in to their cork oaks. Sardinians…marvellous people.

22. Спасибо, Рик.!!!

23. Man I'm going to make some of that lemon grenata, only I'm going to ad some lime and coconut milk

24. The chunky network serendipitously roll because run specially jump outside a steep thought. clever, brief industry

25. The boorish kangaroo intralysosomally settle because clef beverly serve via a spiritual unit. voiceless, mushy arithmetic

26. But that water is so dirty…. You wouldn't want to eat a fish from there. I read that tomatoes were only native to north america as well as potatoes and corn, maybe squash and then later brought to Europe.

27. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL… BEAUTIFUL DOCUMENTARY…. WELL SAID…

28. We all need this in our lives! Great video:-)

29. Well done

30. Best all Bankers find somthing else too do . God will bless them better.

31. I love this presenter. Check out his India series. Fantastic!

32. The fenomenal mediterranean cuisine, number one in the world, thanks BBC and Rick, magnificent background music, awesome series

33. As a sicilian descendant this is a great narrative of food and culture

34. To my surprise, my DNA test showed my forebears were from Sardinia.

35. Rick Stein's food series is better than "Rick Steves" travel videos because it's travel videos + food videos combined.

36. 31:56 im assuming you ment Mint not parsley ??

37. I notice all men, no women are allowed to sit with the men to enjoy the couscous.

38. Fabulous!