Australia & New Zealand Cruises

2018 Subaru WRX Assessment | Vehicle Expert John Cadogan | Australia

I just stepped out of the STi and into this base-design guide WRX – and frankly I predicted to be let down at being punted again to overall economy from company course. Happily plenty of, I was not.

Far from being underwhelmed at my ersatz demotion to overall economy course – I in fact kinda like it. In some methods it is superior than the STI.
Purists will be pounding the keyboard indignantly, but I can consider of twelve,000 definitely good causes up front why I like it a total large amount a lot more than an STI.

Just one of the unfortunate penalties of separating WRX from Impreza is that the new Impreza (released a 12 months in the past in November 2016) does not herald a platform-up re-jig of this 2018 WRX. A new design is not because of until finally 2019 – so this edition is a lot more of a complete primp of the hair and makeup.

This is sticky and organization – there is a joke there, I’m absolutely sure. But let us hold it classy, for a adjust. To me, this vehicle is kinda the Goldilocks tuning for a functionality vehicle that you could drive just about every working day.

WRX sits seemingly lifeless flat in the corners, the steering is exact and the ride’s organization but not brutal like the STI. And it is so neutral – meaning you can tweak its mind-set quickly with the throttle.

Steering is maybe a frag mild – but it is extremely exact, and the experience is organization but not brutal. I could drive this vehicle just about every working day and be pretty delighted – this is in the context of possessing a functionality vehicle.

It’s not the epitome of ease and comfort. It’s the epitome of terrific price and chuckableness. That is not a term. But it must be. In numerous methods it doesn’t choose to highlight all your driving deficiencies the way an STI does.

WRX proves to me you definitely never require 100 various driver-selectable modes and options. This point just works, out of the box – tha Apple Mac of functionality autos. Moist, dry, sealed, unsealed, it is a blast. And regardless of the organization experience, it is not skittish on rough surfaces.

It’s like: This is a functionality vehicle. Here’s your organization suspension – no ‘comfort’, ‘sport’ and ‘track’ modes. Here’s your direct steering. Here’s your 245/40s on 18s. Here’s your symmetrical AWD. Moist, dry, sealed, unsealed, it is a blast. And regardless of the organization experience, it is not skittish on rough surfaces.

It’s also extremely forgiving in the way a BRZ is not. I’d be finding the interaction concerning steering and throttle lifeless ideal in the moist in a BRZ, except if you want the rear to overtake the front. WRX will give you a lot more rope – and a lot more warning that the limit is imminent. But it will in the long run allow you cling by yourself if you drive like a Muppet.

A couple of criticisms: The 6-speed guide is pretty notchy. I’d describe it as adequate alternatively than a delight. There is no sat-nav on the base design, and it is about $800 a 12 months for servicing at 6-month intervals – in a market place wherever the opposition is on twelve. And I get that turbos are really hard on oil, so maybe the a lot more recurrent servicing is in the long run a good expense in longevity.

We’ve experienced WRXs for a quarter of a century now – and there is no problem this is the most effective one at any time. That is on aim criteria – you’re authorized to be infatuated with the past. There can absolutely be a exclusive area in your coronary heart for the WRC Blue bug-eye hatch. Just be informed you’re on the lookout at background by way of rose-coloured glasses.

It’s also pretty clear the WRX recently has missing its area in the drug-dealing, ram-raiding corridor of fame. And, as nostalgic as these glory days ended up, I’m absolutely sure senior administration at Subaru Central is patting itself on the again for that. Today’s WRX is a vehicle that a excess fat middle-aged white guy could very own without having feeling like a compensated-up member of the Neddy Smith fan club.

WRX is 6 seconds to 100 kays an hour for $40-odd grand. And in the moist it is one of the fastest, most self esteem inspiring autos on the road. Normally super-fulfilling to drive. It’s .eight seconds slower than an STI to 100 – a preserving of about $fifteen,000 a second, when you calculate it out. On that basis by yourself, I’ll get one.

resource

1. 100% correct with your visual explanation about bank for your bucks, i just hope the purists out there get it..!! (nice and accurate review mate; we have one of each of the current models auto and manual have to agree – WRX is a good product)

2. Don't you dare shave that beard.

3. More fun than a sti yeah ok lol

4. Although I agree with the overall conclusions of this video, I do believe it is worth mentioning what you are paying for in a STi that you do not get in the WRX.  A STi has a more rugged transmission, better brakes, tighter suspension, front and rear limited slip differentials, an adjustable center differential (DCCD), wider tires, and the EJ257 (handful of extra horses).  His final conclusion of all the extra money only accounting for a slight difference in 0-100 is a bit misleading.

5. I completely agree with you! I bought my WRX and saved 8k! I invested 2k and made it faster than a STI. Buy please DONT WRITE ON THE CAR! what's wrong with you!?!

6. Great video, I ended up getting the new STI because I didn't want to have that "shoulda gone STI" feeling 3 years down the track! 😀

7. Did you really just say $60,000 for an STI in Australia? Holy shit why is it so expensive?

8. $40k whiteboard, sign me up!

9. I'll stick with my bugeye it's still better than a lot of later model cars that are out there and hell when your on a pension who can afford $45,000.00.

10. Desk confusion response finally combine free apologize render president cake pride

11. I always wanted a rex! Even my kids learnt on a sti. Now some BS John talked me into a Kia. Out goes the smoke…

12. 6 monthly service interval! Come on Subaru, lift ya game. What is so unique about this platform that justifies bending the owner over at the service department twice in one year ?? I'm surprised John didn't mention this in his brief report. Still a nice set of wheels though.

13. I love You!

14. Nice demonstration of this cars autonomic capabilities and it’s a white board. Great review thank you.

15. Why are cars so expensive in Australia?

16. In Switzerland (I guess in whole Europe) we can't get the WRX (with or without CVT). What a pity. Theres only the STi, which is a great sports car (I drove 3 of them), but… I own a Forester XT now, which allows smooth and quick driving. The 2.0 DIT engine combined with that CVT on the WRX, must be perfect. Enough power, less consumption and comfy driving. Just as you approved in the video. Great channel. Can't wait to see other aussie Subaru news ; -)

17. Ive owned both myself and the WRX is suprisingly a good car – i'd even go as far to say the FA20 is superior as it is to the EJ25 my STi had.

18. Brilliant video …. great work 🙂

19. i drove a 1st gen wrx just after they were released here in straya, it really impressed me(pardon the pun), i'd driven just about every thing performance under 50k, and this thing was the best all rounder bar none

20. Bragging rights

21. Can this moron just fukoff??? He keeps getting it wrong, GTFO

22. For 40k I just bought a 2018 Mazda cx-9 gt model plus it started at 46k as it had all the options available

23. I'm buying Kia stinger v6 instead

24. These days styling wise it's hard to tell the difference between a WRX and a Toyota Camry unless you look real closely! Especially so when they in white.

25. Thanks John. How does it compare to Golf GTI?

26. The sound of the motor in the background is beautiful. The luxury version of my 2017 Impreza… ps how dare you use that machine as a whiteboard.

27. Love your video John! 😀 Both STI and WRX are licence shredding cars. I own a MY15 WRX and it certainly takes 0.8 seconds less to have my licence shredded.

28. 5:39 Good to see john showing confidence in the level 5 autonomous driving features 🙂

29. I currently work for a Subaru dealership. I find the STI alot more laggy (turbo lag) then the younger brother WRX. I find the WRX more manageable and fun as an everyday car, the STI needs to be wrung off its head to be fun

30. That’s a big trunk. Good for your dates when your finished with them.

31. The fa20 is a let down as far as internal strengh goes they use a bent conrod which puts to much load on one side of the end cap ,most people who buys these want to modify them not a good idea with a bent conrod

32. Now if only Subaru Australia would bring out a WRX wagon in a manual……..

33. Your a belter.

34. Well said thank you

35. Hope I passed the Audition/made Muster so 2 speak.If Dy'in is such a bad thing, Y is Everybody Duo'in it! YYZ-Canuck-Mohawk/-14c & -24c with Windage.On My way 2 Stralia 4 Retired-Ment,1/4 Mile at a Tyme.Rat-Man///lol,Keep'em Fly'in!!!

36. wow the Trunk trick sold me on it ! Those sexy legs, man … those sexy legs … 😀 well White legs, here in Trumps America we are turning racist, and you are one of the few that our Idiot president will allow in the country still ! 😀

37. Did you invest in BitCoin, LiteCoin, Ethereum, BlockChain yet? If not, you looking to buy a cryptocurrency wallet anytime soon?

38. "WHO switched the whiteboard marker with the permanent marker!!!!"

39. The bug eye what a joke everyone one knows The GC8 MY99 was the best ever built !!!

40. Solid review.

41. Love the genune Fuji Heavy Industries white board.
    Top review

42. okay mate, put the Vaseline away and pull your hand out of your subsequent search for the one cent piece you dropped down the side of your Recaro seat… basically, as I see it… Subaru fucked up the STi and that's why you'd buy the pov pack sultana box WRX. $40K for 6 seconds of Japanese AWD ugliness. Not for me. I'll buy altcoin and trade my way into a proper AWD performance daily that my beloved can drive to the shops and not require a kidney belt. How did Hyundai feel after this review…. wukka wukka 😂

43. Love these videos 🙂 anyone know what model of watch John is wearing (the one with the red strap) ?

44. Sadly the typical performance Subaru owner feels inadequate and has theirs moded / chipped so it runs like a clapped out vw / Victa mower. Got laugh at those that prefer a wanna be badly tuned lawn mower noise rather than acceleration with reliability and warranty.